The SQF Institute (SQFI) is a division of the Food Marketing Institute (FMI), an association that conducts programs in public affairs, food safety, research, education and industry relations on behalf of its 1,500 member companies - food retailers and wholesalers - in the United States and around the world. The SQF Institute was established by FMI in 2004 to administer the SQF Program and is located in Arlington, Virginia.
- SQF is recognized by retailers and foodservice providers around the world who require a rigorous, credible food safety management system.
- Using the SQF certification program will help reduce assessment inconsistencies and costs of multiple assessment standards.
- The SQF Program is recognized by the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) and links primary production certification to food manufacturing, distribution and agent/broker management certification.
- Administered by the Food Marketing Institute (FMI), SQF benefits from continual retailer feedback about consumer concerns. These benefits are passed on to SQF certified suppliers, keeping them a step ahead of their competitors.
- SQF is the only scheme to integrate a quality component as well as food safety.
The Safe Quality Food Institute Mission: To deliver consistent, globally recognized food safety and quality certification programs based on sound scientific principles, consistently applied across all industry sectors, and valued by all stakeholders.
SQF Vision: To be the single most trusted source for global food safety and quality certification.